Rice water is a Chinese discovery. Asians have a special connection with rice and consider it a product of longevity. They believe that rice improves the functioning of many organs, which means that it prolongs life.
Today, the health and beauty industry is developing dynamically, offering more and more new products. But not all of them are safe. Many of them contain harmful additives, so nowadays there are more and more fans of natural remedies and the wise recipes tested by our ancestors. An example for a natural remedy is rice water.
How to prepare rice water?
There are several options for making rice water, let's see the three most popular. The resulting product is rich in the vitamins, minerals and amino acids necessary for beauty and health. All kinds of rice are suitable for the decoction: ordinary white grains, brown, long-grain rice and any other.
Boiled rice water (broth, decoction)
This option will help you prepare rice water for a week. Prepare the rice grains as usual, but use 2-3 times more water than necessary for the recipe, for example 1:7. Strain the boiled rice. The remaining water will be a storehouse of nutrients. The decoction can be stored in a sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to a week.
You do not need to use all of the liquid. Add three tablespoons of the concentrated rice liquid to a glass of purified water. The mixture should be slightly cloudy.
Quick version without boiling
This method of cooking is for those who do not want to waste time in the preparation of rice water. Use half a cup of rice and pour this amount in a bowl with two cups of clean water at room temperature. Leave the grains to soak for 60 to 90 minutes. Stir, strain and use this water for your hair and face. Cooling is not recommended. It's best if you use it immediately.
Fermented rice water
Rice water, prepared in the following way, is considered to be the most effective. Fermentation changes the acidity of the decoction and it becomes as close as possible to body pH. However, the preparation process will take a long time.
First, do everything as described in the method without boiling, but leave the rice for 2 days at room temperature in a covered bowl. If you live in a hot climate, then the process can be shortened to a day. The light smell will let you know if the rice water is ready. This broth is suitable for both hair and face. But before use, it should be diluted with 1-2 glasses of clean warm water. Store the remaining water in the refrigerator.
Chemical composition and properties of rice water
- Ferulic acid is a powerful antioxidant;
- B vitamins, tocopherol, biotin, ascorbic acid;
- Allantoin - has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- Starch - surrounds the walls of the stomach, protecting it from the effects of aggressive substances.
Since rice water does not contain gluten, you do not need to worry about an allergic reaction. But there are still contraindications. We will talk about them a little later.
Use of rice water in face and body cosmetics
How to apply rice water on your face? Quite simple! It is a good antiseptic. For eczema, dermatitis, acne, sunburn and other skin lesions, a cotton swab dipped in the broth is applied to the inflamed areas for 5-10 minutes. The procedure is repeated several times.
It is also used to combat enlarged pores for oily skin. Rice water will remove the greasy shine and tighten the pores. Rice water can reduce wrinkles and improve the turgor of the epidermis. Rice water against skin aging is often used by older women.
Strong broth is added to baths as a nourishing, softening and rejuvenating agent. Such baths are done no more than 2 times a week.
Benefits of rice water for hair
Asian women always have strong and healthy hair, even though they are exposed to the hot sun. It turns out that the use of rice and rice water are very beneficial. What are the effects:
- Promotes hair growth. The best option for use is fermented broth. You can add a few drops of lavender or rosemary essential oil to the water;
- The hair becomes healthier, more elastic and softer. Use your usual shampoo and conditioner, but instead of washing your hair with plain water, use rice water. You can rinse your hair 1-2 times a week to achieve a lasting result;
- Itching and dandruff are reduced. The effect is noticeable after the first application;
- Styling products are often replaced with rice water. Rinse your hair with rice water, let it dry a bit and then style your hair;
- It is said that rice water helps prevent early hair whitening;
- Rice flour and rice water are used to prepare shampoo for dry, brittle and curly hair. Pour the flour with rice water to the consistency of a porridge and leave it for 10 minutes. The resulting product is used instead of shampoo or diluted with ordinary shampoo in a ratio of 1:1.
Rice water for health
The decoction of rice grains is included in the list of dietary foods. It is prescribed for digestive and metabolic disorders. Drinking rice water:
- Used in diarrhea, it tightens the stool, if the cause of the intestinal disorder is not infectious. In case of diarrhea, drink a decoction of 50 ml (1/4 cup) every 2 hours until the symptoms disappear. For severe diarrhea, the broth intake is extended to 3 days;
- Absorbs toxins in the intestine, which is why it is used in case of poisoning as an additional agent along with adsorbent drugs. In case of poisoning, a decoction of rice grains of 1.7 - 2.4 fl oz (50 - 70 ml) is used every 2-4 hours during the day. At the same time drink at least 10 - 17 fl oz (300 - 500 ml) per day;
- Reduces stomach acidity, relieves symptoms of gastritis with high acidity, helps with heartburn. In case of gastritis or discomfort and burning in the stomach, drink 1/3 cup of the broth before meals;
- Serves as a source of easily digestible nutrients and restores the body after illness;
- Rice water relieves joint pain, reduces inflammation and activates connective tissue's regeneration.
- For children, the doses are reduced 2 to 3 times depending on age.
Rice broth for weight loss
The rice diet works and is a proven method for weight loss by many women. This unloading diet is used to cleanse the body. There is also a diet with rice water as well. A glass of rice water, containing a whole range of valuable substances, replaces breakfast. The energy value of such a portion is about 150 kcal. This is the essence of the diet.
The minimum duration of the course is 2 weeks. During this time, you can lose up to 4.4 lb (2 kg) of excess weight. And this is without painful starvation, you just need to replace one meal with rice water.
Contraindications and dangers of rice water
It is recommended to refrain from use when you have:
- Inflammation of the pancreas;
In case you have the last disease, a doctor's consultation is required. He will advise how it is best for you to lose weight without harming your body. If a specialist approves this diet, the broth is best made from brown rice.
There are no contraindications for external use. The only thing to keep in mind is that the product has a drying effect. Therefore, if you have dry skin, do not overuse rice water.