Physalis is an exotic plant believed to be native to South America. It has a number of benefits for the human body that make it so healthy and preferred especially in the form of a drink.
In this article, we will introduce you closely to the benefits of physalis – what are its medicinal properties, how it affects the human body and why it is good to drink physalis tea.
Read more about growing physalis.
Physalis – The Emerald Fruit
Physalis, as already mentioned, is of South American origin. It likes the humid and warm climate of the tropics. It belongs to the Nightshade family, and is often called the Aztec berry and goldenberry.
Physalis fruits are orange in color and very similar in size to cherry tomatoes. What is different about them is that they are completely covered by a pod that protects them from cold and external injuries.
You can eat this fruit without worry because it is completely safe for consumption. Its taste is mostly sweet and it can be slightly sour. It is recommended that physalis fruits are consumed dried rather than fresh. In this form it is known as inca berry.
Useful properties of physalis
Along with its taste qualities, physalis has a number of useful and specific properties. This is due to the fatty acid content; types of active substances such as saponins, polyphenols, flavonoids, tannin, vitamin C, etc. In the fruits of physalis we can also find vitamins A, B1, B2 and B6.
A few years ago, scientists in the state of Pará in Brazil did a thorough study of the plant. In its stem they found a substance that contributes to the growth of neurons related to human memory. Thanks to it, new neurons are created, and this helps in the recovery of people who have neurodegenerative diseases.
Physalis is extremely strong antioxidant and diuretic. It acts as an antiviral, anti-inflammatory and cleanses the body of toxic substances.
Physalis tea - why should we drink it?
After we have familiarized you closely with physalis and its properties, it is time to explain why it is beneficial to consume physalis in the form of tea. And here are five reasons to consume physalis tea:
• Strong antiseptic effect: Physalis is known for its antiseptic effect, which helps with inflammation of the respiratory tract. Its leaves and fruits are recommended to people suffering from asthma;
• Blood purification: Physalis fruit has high iron content, which brings many benefits to our body. They also have antiseptic properties that cleanse the blood of heavy metals. Physalis also plays an important role in the formation of red blood cells, which are essential for the circulatory system;
• Calming effect: The melatonin contained in this fruit regulates the biorhythm and has an anti-stress effect. Physalis tea is ideal for consumption before going to bed, because it has a calming effect and guarantees a more restful sleep;
• Immunostimulant: Physalis is a good solution for colds and flu, sore throats and inflamed airways. You can make physalis tea by steeping a few leaves of the plant in boiling water and leaving them for about ten minutes. The water is then filtered and ready for consumption;
• Takes care of the health of the kidneys: With its help, albumin is easily removed from the kidneys. For nephritis and kidney diseases, it is recommended to drink physalis tea.
Physalis has a number of interesting and useful properties that have great benefits for the human body. The consumption of this fruit can be very beneficial for your body, and physalis tea will take care of your health and immunity!
Read more on Culinary Uses of Physalis so you can also prepare something delicious with this healthy fruit.