According to experts, hemp is the first herb that man planted more than 10 thousand years ago in China. The medicinal properties of the plant have been known for thousands of years. Pliny and several other authors in ancient Greece speak of its ability to deal with pain. The largest empires contested the supremacy of the hemp market.
Hemp has been used to make clothes, paper, even weapons. It has been a powerful crop for pharmaceuticals and many other branches of industry. Among other things, flour is also produced from it. It cannot be said that hemp flour is a product of widespread consumption, but nevertheless it has been known for millennia and continues to be used today. Therefore, information about it is useful.
History of hemp flour
This product has been known for thousands of years and is most often used in China and India. It also appeared in Russia in ancient times. It is difficult to say what the first purpose of the cannabis flour was - for food or as a medicinal powder. It is only known that the Russian peasants used it as a food product - flour and butter.
In nutrition, this product played an important role in the past. In Chinese villages, residents have consumed hemp flour every day for hundreds of years. Although they did not have the modern knowledge of nutrition, they appreciated the positive effects of hemp and its products. This is also one of the reasons for the longevity of many of these people.
Obtaining Hemp Flour
Hemp flour is produced from unpeeled hemp seeds. They are ground carefully, so that they don't to lose their valuable nutritional qualities. It makes sense that when consuming whole hemp seeds, the body expends much more energy and does much more work to digest all the nutritional components. Hemp flour is the proposal that saves the body time and effort in this process.
Chemical composition of hemp flour
It turns out that the flour from this culture has a rich nutritional composition. It contains:
- amino acids, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids;
- vitamins - C, D, K and group B, especially vitamin E;
This composition makes hemp flour suitable not only for food, but also for medicinal purposes. The product is hypoallergenic. Almost no people are allergic to it. It is a great choice for those with food intolerances, such as celiac sufferers. There is no gluten in the flour and therefore it is an alternative for people with gluten intolerance.
Beneficial properties of hemp flour
Since it is saturated with vitamins and trace elements, hemp flour has a beneficial effect on human health.
- complicates the development of diabetes by normalizing blood sugar levels;
- accelerates metabolic processes;
- promotes the motility of the intestinal tract, cleanses the body of toxins;
- restores intestinal microflora, relieves constipation;
- envelops the intestinal mucosa and protects it from parasites;
- eliminates accumulations in the gallbladder that clog it;
- cleans the blood vessels and strengthens their walls;
- creates a balance in the acidic environment of the stomach;
- prevents the development of cardiovascular diseases;
- increases hemoglobin levels in the blood;
- reduces overweight;
- relieves respiratory tract infections;
- increases the threshold of physical endurance;
- supports wound healing;
- increases lactation in nursing mothers if added to milk or tea;
- it is useful for men's health, as it has a positive effect on the excretory system, prevents the prostate;
- strengthens the body's general immunity.
The presence of all eight essential amino acids makes a special impression in it. This means it is a great source of vegetable protein, making it suitable for vegetarian and vegan diets. In addition, these substances are extremely important for the well-being of the body - for the heart, blood circulation, brain and for all organs and systems because of their antioxidant power.
Negative effect of hemp flour
Hemp flour does not have a negative effect on human health. However, it is not a good idea to use it as a main ingredient in culinary dishes. It is prescribed as a contraindicated product in the following cases:
- individual intolerance to the product;
- with cholecystitis.
A requirement for the use of hemp flour is to strictly observe the permissible norm. It should not exceed 30 grams. It can be included as a biological additive in soups, side dishes, sweets and dairy products.
Use of hemp flour
As a food additive, hemp flour does not change the taste of the main dish, nor can it add a touch of spiciness. It can be a good additional source of vitamins and other nutrients.
It has a mild, nutty flavor on its own, making it perfect for cooking and baking. All recipes with flour can be enriched with an additional addition of hemp flour. It has binding properties due to the high fat content of the product. It can replace 10 to 20 percent of the main flour. Baked goods get more protein and fiber this way.
A complete replacement of hemp flour is not used, because its taste is too intense. However, the nutty flavor is particularly suitable for some dishes. Used on foods from pizzas to rolls. Instead of protein powder, a few spoonfuls of hemp flour can be added to the base to improve the consistency of the batter or used to thicken soups and sauces. It is less caloric than other flours.
Here are some tips for using hemp flour:
- Combine hemp flour with wheat if you want to lose weight. Its high concentration of carbohydrates works to satiate you easily and for a long time. It is especially suitable for overweight diabetics and those who focus on healthy eating.
- Every hemp flour cake needs wheat flour in its composition. The optimal ratio is 30 percent hemp flour to 70 percent wheat. If the dose of hemp flour is increased, the cakes will fall apart.
- If added in a smoothie, it gives it a desirable consistency and adds more nutrients to the healthy drink.
- Suitable recipes for its use are also in breads and rolls, savory pies and biscuits, puddings and other products for making homemade pasta.
Hemp flour has a major role as a means of treating and improving skin color. It is an inexpensive method of care with very effective results. It is used as a whitening face mask, as a scrub to clean the skin of the face and to restore the healthy and vibrant appearance of the skin.
Before using the hemp flour the skin should be cleaned with a tonic or lotion. Then the hemp flour is applied in a dose of 1 spoon, mixed with 1 teaspoon of soda and left for 1-2 minutes, during which time it is rubbed on the face. It is then washed off with warm water.
With this mask, the skin is supplied with vitamin E and antioxidants from the hemp flour and acquires a matte smooth color, facial wrinkles are smoothed and acne is relieved.