»Articles»Curiosities»What Will Happen if a Dog or Cat Eats Chocolate?

What Will Happen if a Dog or Cat Eats Chocolate?

Nadia Galinova
Translated by
Nadia Galinova
What Will Happen if a Dog or Cat Eats Chocolate?

People love chocolate and it is a sweet temptation not only in for children but also for adults. Therefore, almost every home has chocolate. However, if people have a dog or cat as a pet, the presence of chocolate can cause a serious problem if the furry friend takes a bite of it.

How chocolate is dangerous for a dog or cat

Sugar, fat and xylitol, which is a sugar substitute, are not good for pets in the canine and feline kingdoms. However, it also contains two other ingredients that pose a greater threat to these animals - these are caffeine and theobromine, which is a plant alkaloid found in cocoa. Theobromine is a toxin to most animals, including the most common pets - dogs and cats.

The Latin name of the cacao plant is Teobroma cacao, which translates as Food of the Gods. The ingredient, which makes chocolate so delicious for people is dangerous to their pets.

The two culprits, caffeine and theobromine, are stimulants. They increase the animal's heart rate and as a diuretic, stimulate the release of fluids from the body. These effects can be fatal to the furry pet.

What types and amounts of chocolate are dangerous for cats and dogs

Harms of chocolate for cats and dogs

- Milk chocolate - about 50 g per kilogram of the weight of the animal;

- Dark chocolate - about 15 g per kilogram of weight;

- Cocoa - about 3 g per kilogram of weight;

- White Chocolate - large amounts of chocolate are fatal, because white chocolate contains very small amounts of cocoa.

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in pets

Cats and dogs

- Vomiting;

- Diarrhea;

- Nausea;

- Accelerated heart rate;

- Excessive thirst;

- Increased urination;

- Anxiety;

- Temperature and rapid breathing;

- Seizures;

- Coma.

First aid is given by trying to induce vomiting, the animal should be left in a cool place and in a calm position, until a veterinarian can be reached, who can assess how much chocolate has been ingested and start treatment.

Any responsible homeowner should keep chocolate out of the reach for pets, especially around holidays, that involve chocolate cookies and homemade candy.